Monday, October 5, 2009

Ella Enchanted

As an adolescent, my favorite book was the novel "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine. this young-adult fiction novel is a take-off on Cinderella. Ella's entire world is made up of fairies, gnomes, ogres, giants, and magic. At birth, she is given a gift (or curse) by a fairy named Lucinda. This gift is obedience. Ella has to obey whatever she is told. This adds a twist to her story. The book follows her life from the death of her mother, to befriending and falling in love with Prince Char, to dealing with her step-family, and ultimately to overcoming her curse so she can live "happily ever after."
I think I really liked this novel because I felt that I could identify with Ella. She wasn't a perfect person, and she had to deal with situations I understood. I admired her, even though she was a fictional character. I loved the adventure in the novel, and all the situations Ella was confronted with. More than anything, I really enjoyed the love story of Ella and Char. I too fell in love with Char, and would dream of the day I would meet my own "prince." Reading this book made me happy, and in a way explained what I wanted in life

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to my 16-year-old sister about this assignment and she said her favorite book is Ella Enchanted... I guess it's a popular teenage girl book. I loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too! Actually I still do. I thought the movie was completely ridiculous, but I think it's because I really enjoyed imagining the story and the characters.

    ReplyDelete